The soil in the beet bed is very sandy, and had been watered earlier that morning, so it was relatively easy to harvest. I started using a trowel to loosen the beats, but quickly determined that I didn't need to do that, and I could just pull them.
All in all, it went pretty quickly.
As I was pulling the beets, I was stacking them at the end of the bed, so The Man could cut the tops off. Most of them were fairly small, but I like them that way. They take a bit longer to process, but they're more fun in the jar.
Here's The Man washing all the dirt off the harvested beets before we take them into the house for processing.
You can't really tell from this picture, but that stand he's at was originally built for sifting the debris out of the soil in our garden space when we first moved into the rental. The bottom of the frame has wire mesh in it. It's turned out to be useful as a lot more things than a soil sifter.